23 August 2006

Not much to report

It's been a week, but there's nothing much to report, other than I secured a part-time job as a nanny for the school year.

I kinda feel like there's nothing else for me to do but wait it out until I move (in two weeks). Work is still giving me about 10-13 hours a week, mostly weekends.

Since I've done the going-away-to-school thing before, I already have most of the stuff I'll need. The house has a full supply of cookware, plates and utensils, so I don't really need to bring my hand-me-down kitchenwares. And I already have all the lamps, sheets and decorations I need to make my new room cozy. So what else do I need to do/get to prepare? It's hard to make a check-list of things to pack when pretty much everything is going with me.

My parents bought me a refrigerator for my room and they still owe me a bike, as they gave mine to my sister-in-law (I'm not that heartbroken over it - it's purple and orange and says JAZZ! on it...not something I want to be seen on past the age of 13). I don't want to get a cheap bike, just something that looks like crap so no one will attempt to steal it. This old friend of my brother's moved to Seattle for college, and during his first quarter, bought a $600 mountain bike and promptly had it stolen. I'm not sure if he didn't lock it up properly with a u-lock, but whatever. The point is, this may be the best bike I'll ever be able afford, considering that I'm not paying for it, so I want to get a good one. My parents have been looking at Wal-Mart, Costco and Fred Meyer, but I'm hoping I can tempt them into spending much more than they planned and go to a bike shop to make the purchase.

Granted, I have no idea what I'm really looking for, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

No comments: