06 August 2006

I AM pretty graceful with The Golfer's Lift though

So I really hurt my back. At least two or three times I week lately, I wake up with an uncomfortable pain in the center of my back, right near my bra strap. The pain will usually last maybe twenty minutes or so and will go away when I fall back asleep or when I finally go get breakfast.

I came to the sad realisation that I have never flipped my queen size bed (the one I've slept on for at least ten years) even though I always sleep on the left side, so I enlisted my dad's help* in the venture while I finished my laundry on Wednesday evening.

Unfortunately, when I woke up Thursday morning, the pain was still there, though it was more tolerable (I think). On Friday, the pain returned and came and went all day, but by yesterday, it seemed to have gone after I exercised.**

Today, I woke up with the pain and it has lasted all day, even through four advils. I used a different, more supportive chair at work (instead of a stool) and stayed sitting in a comfortable position through as much of the day as possible. Sitting upright felt the worst.

I can think of only one reason left as to why I'm in still in pain since I*** flipped my mattress: Operation: Awesome Auntie. How could I have been subject to physical pain from the (seemingly) harmless techniques of brainwashing little children? Because I'm the idiot that never paid attention to safe lifting techniques at work and instead laughed at posters like these.

In trying to be the Best Aunt Ever, I scooped my little neice up in my arms every chance I could get. I even felt the little lightning bolts of pain (as shown here) a time or two.

Other than that, the only things really exciting in the past couple days is that I went to see Barnyard with my mum and Kaitlyn (so not worth it - even Kaitlyn gave it a yucky face), saw Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby with my dad (hilarious! - I pulled a muscle in my rib area from laughing so hard at the end) and I went to the store in my pajamas and bought Lucky Charms this morning.

In review:
  • Always maintain proper lifting techniques
  • Use a pro-active approach to mattress flipping
  • Lucky Charms keeps the spirits up.
  • Go see Talladega Nights. Shake 'n Bake.

*Actually, he did all the work. I was downstairs.
**for the first time in over a month
***Once again, Dad gets credit for this one.

1 comment:

Barry Ingram said...

"Proper Lifting Procedures" - sounds like a 50s short like "Proper Hygene" or "Last Clear Chance." Tom Servo, where are you when we need you?