30 July 2006

Smelly Cat: Part One

Yesterday was a classic bad day. Bad enough that I decided to sleep on the day's events and write about it today. In light of events surrounding an old friend and an accident she was in, though, it's not that bad.

This weekend, my neighbour, who happens to be my paternal uncle's sister-in-law, is out of town, so she asked me to feed her plethora of outdoor cats and her small dog. I thought it'd be a good opportunity to let her dog, Daisy, spend more time with my two dogs (meaning sniff time).

Before work yesterday, I wasn't feeling very well when I woke up at 5.15a and couldn't get back to sleep, but I didn't think much of it. I retrieved Daisy from next door and leashed up my dogs and took them for the walk down to the road to get the morning paper. I came back, returned my dogs to our yard, fed Daisy and the fourteen cats (I'm actually not exaggerating that number - I really counted fourteen) and went to work.

When I returned from work, I wasn't feeling well, as I had vomited in my mouth a little earlier, so I took a nap. Around 8p, I went to the neighbour's, fed the cats and thought I'd take Daisy for a walk.

Daisy and I didn't get very far before she tested the boundaries of her leash by jumping in some bushes near the cornfield. Thinking it was a cat, I leaned in to get a closer look and see if it was one of the cats I recognised, or if it was yet another cat. Bad idea.

What followed next was wretched. 'Twas not another cat, but a cute little black and white creature. The smell hit seconds later and the creature disappeared into the corn. We had been skunkified.

No comments: