26 June 2006

Game Night is on!

When I was in elementary school, I joined the AAU basketball team because a friend played. I was such a horrible player; I didn't even understand the rules of the game until some years later. I also played softball in 6th and 7th grade, after years on the Parks & Rec t-ball and softball teams, and made the "B" squad, though I wasn't too coordinated with catching the ball. I tried out for volleyball and, much to my dismay, was sent to the "you-suck-but-we-have-to-let-you-play-because-this-is-middle-school" intramural team.

With that said, it's safe to say that I'm not one for physical sports. Well, scratch that. I like playing kickball and I love to swim. But I'm not very competitive while participating, probably because I just don't want to lose, or worse yet, confirm my depressing thoughts that I'm a loser. My enthusiasm is always in the game; the accompanying skills, however, are quite often absent.

Yet anyone who's every played a board game with me will tell you that I am a really competitive player. I absolutely love board games and feel really confident with my abilities to leave others in my dust as I race to the finish. My favourites are Clue Master Detective, Hotels (one surprisingly no one has ever heard of but me) and The Game of Life.

While I'm not one for cheating, in the past I've been known to "accidently" bump the board, and with pieces flying everywhere, this makes recovery and continuation of the game nearly impossible. Granted, this was back in high school. As I said, I'm really competitive. But I've matured a great deal since then, really!

Last night, a friend from work brought her boyfriend over and the three of us swam for awhile in the pool and then came inside and played Clue and The Game of Life (their choices!). We had a great time and all three of us were really into it. I was secretly grinning when, in Clue, after making his final accusation and discovering he was wrong, he was visibly pissed at Megan for a slight misunderstanding of who held the card for Sgt. Gray.

Timmy and I were collecting money left and right during The Game of Life, and both took great delight that Megan had to take a loan out to buy her house and made the lowest salary possible by the end of the game. By the end, she turned it around, and we got to laugh at Timmy for losing.

Finally I have a couple friends that not only understand my cutthroat attitude with board games, but enjoy beating each other down with little cars and pawns!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're pretty good at kicking a soccer ball! And I do recall you being really competative whilst playing cards! Remember when we played WAR in the beginning of our relationship? hehee

Brianne said...

I still have that soccer ball in my backseat!

When I was writing this post, I was thinking about adding in playing cards, remembering my competitiveness with you. Even though we hadn't started dating yet (I think), I quit trying to make a good impression and just wanted to beat your ass at WAR.

Anonymous said...

I knew you cheated at the "Game of Life"!!!! Oh well, its still fun to play. I really only like playing with you, no matter how much I pretend to hate naming all the kids and making up little stories.
SB

Brianne said...

but naming the kids and adding on to the story is the best part!

and as i said, i don't cheat! i will just distract everyone while spinning or make up a reason why the spin didn't count! that's all!

n8 b said...

It doesn't matter if your no good at sports as long as you play, have a positive attitude and have fun. Organized sports (basketball, baseball) were just getting to be too much work, so my friends and I started playing dodgeball and wiffleball. This was the best idea ever. It's somewhat competitive but nobody takes it too seriously (except me of course).
I hear you on the board games too. Me and my ex got into a fight playing Pictionary. And we were on the same team! If only she knew how to draw, we might still be together.