18 June 2006

I'll believe it when I see it, except in Bollywood!

Any of my friends will tell you that I despise musicals. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the two gangs "fight" by singing and dancing in West Side Story. I can't get into guys hopping on cars and singing about "Summer Lovin'" in Grease. I don't buy that such macho guys would do that. I'm sorry. I just can't do it.

But I love love love Bollywood films! Granted, I've only seen a couple. I went in not knowing if I'd like the style, but while watching the first one, I really enjoyed it!

Maybe deep down I accept that Indian culture really permits, nay, encourages random bursts of singing and dancing. That, if I were to travel to Bombay, I'd actually experience a musical right before my eyes dancing down the street. Unseen speakers would blast beautiful musical accompaniment and perhaps backing vocals and the people in line at the shops would begin choreographed routines, lip-syncing and dancing all around me in a sea of happiness, saris and billowy outdated pants.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear....

Anonymous said...

hey you. so i got your message. sorry, i didnt even hear it ring. i must have been in a deep sleep. either way, its not 100% yet but im pretty sure that for the next two weeks i wont be in spokane so that sucks. ill be in portland though so that exciting! hopefully well still get to hang out a few more times though before i go back to school. im sure we will though since its two months away. love you!