02 April 2006

Down with EOP? Yeah, you know me.

Tomorrow, I head off to Seattle to talk to an undergraduate advisor from the University of Washington's Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) about my possibilities to return as a student. What's interesting is that the EOP is within the Office of Minority Affairs and, according to its website, "The program is open to underrepresented minority students from American Indian, Native American, African-American, Hispanic and Asian/Pacific Islander backgrounds, and to economically disadvantaged students of all ethnicities whose parents do not have 4-year college degrees." Why is that particularly of interest to me, a supposed member of the EOP? Because I am a European-blended, to-the-nth generation American, and my parents both have master's degrees. My last name doesn't even sound remotely ethnic, either. Yet when I was admitted to university, I received a letter stating that I was a member of the program.

The only reason I can think of that I'd be included in such a program is that I come from the Yakima Valley and as one can see here, the university has a "Gear Up" program servicing the valley. However, I was never a member, as far as I know.

I don't mind being included in the Educational Opportunity Program...it's just somewhat awkward going into an office obviously intended for the ethnic groups listed above and feeling like I'm taking advantage of the system (which I'm definately not!).

No comments: