23 May 2006

At Least Other Companies Pretend to Give a Shit

As many of you might know, I have regularly scheduled appointments every couple of weeks in Spokane (roughly a three hour drive). In addition, as I will be returning to UW in the fall, I will be having at least one appointment with advisors before September in Seattle (also a three hour drive).

In any normal job, I would request these days to be taken into consideration for days off at least two weeks in advance; if the request is put in inside the two week window, it's understood that I may be assigned to work those days.

At any other job, I may also be given a blank calendar with which I'd fill in the days up to a couple months in advance in which I'd like to have off.

This is the case at many other jobs. But not at my newest.

I was finally handed an employee handbook a couple days ago, after I had made a few requests for upcoming days in which I'd be out of town for said appointments (coincidental? I doubt it). Over the weekend, I perused the document and came across this:


I put boxes around the most shocking parts and underlined the outrageous.

I've never worked for a company that basically says to its employees "I don't give a fuck about you" in the handbook.

What's more, employees are given their upcoming schedules one week at a time. And the management has until Wednesday afternoons to give us our schedules for the upcoming weekend. So I have to wait until tomorrow to know what I'm doing on Friday.


As much as I enjoy the free movies, I think I may have to start looking for a new job.

2 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

Holy shit!!! That thing reads like and internet joke email!!! I especially like "change your personal plans and work as scheduled" LOL!!!

Candy Minx said...

Well, that is fairly restricting. I am surprised I always think of movie places as "leisure-time business" heh heh. Why don't you approach a manager, remind them the resona they hired you is because you are so persoanble, and you work harder than what is expected...so it is worthwhile for them to support your schedule and they are also going to have the reward of knowing they have helped a young person build their education towards their dreams?

Well, you can try? :)

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog and actually reading it, I know I talk and blab a lot so it really feels nice when someone actually is out there! Nice to "meet" you!!! And I am from the pacific northwest and love thinking about you living in west coast area.

Cheers,
Candy
http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/