09 May 2006

Idiot Testing

About two weeks ago, I posted about turning in my application at a local cinema. On Friday, the manager finally called me and asked me to come in on Saturday for an interview.

At the interview, I learned that to obtain the minimum-wage job, not only would I need to pass a criminal background check, but be able to watch three 10-minute videos pertaining to safety and harassment in the theatre setting and pass the subsequent multiple-choice quizzes. He proceeded to tell me that they conducted the quizzes to "basically weed out the idiots," and, after a pause, stated he really hoped I passed the quizzes, otherwise he had just called me stupid.

After a general Q&A about the job, we bantered back and forth about whether I'd need any take-home study materials for the quizzes and then I was free to go.

Today, he called me to let me know that my criminal background check had come back:

manager: "I just wanted to let you know that your criminal background check came back..."

me: "Ok"

manager: "...and there was something on it."

me: *jaw dropping to the floor* "WHAT?"

manager: "just kidding. it's fine."


I've got $5 in imaginary currency saying that he's got the same management style as Michael Scott. (come on, I don't even have any paychecks coming in yet!).

I'm going in today at 3p to watch the videos. I hope the results don't prove what I've been fearing since freshman year in college.

2 comments:

Lynn Dombrowski said...

Sounds like a cool job.

I hope you enjoy it.

Yeah free movies!

Anonymous said...

Your fear since freshman year of college will manifest itself when you, for once in your life, don't get what you want.